Citing a Document

Is it ok to say document in a DBQ? For example, “Document 1 says…” I’ve heard different things from different teachers/people and want to be sure for tomorrow. If I shouldn’t say “Document 1” how would I cite/mention the document in preparation for explaining the document?

Yes, you must attribute the document by either using “Document ___ describes…” or ending the sentence with “(Doc ___)”.

1 Like

yes, great question. What is the best way to cite a document?

1 Like

That is a fine approach. You can also have it as: (Doc 1).

Whichever way you prefer from the two I mentioned above. Both ways count for points.

1 Like

ok thx, and if I were to do (Doc 1), would I do that after summarizing the document, or after sourcing/analyzing it?

You would do it after the sentence where you first introduce the document.

Example:

Author Kate Chopin, a late Romantic author best known for her novel The Awakening, discusses gender roles in late-nineteenth century Louisiana (Doc 1).

1 Like
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.