Citing

Do we have to put the line number after quotes?

Hey - great question. No you don’t have to cite the line number when quoting. Because all readers will be VERY familiar with the passage and have it pulled up while scoring and because you’re only discussing one document, you won’t have to cite at all. You are absolutely allowed to cite, but there is no need to.

What I recommend, however, are phrases such as “in the opening paragraph,” “in the closing lines,” or “after addressing X,…”. Transitions/phrases such as this often help increase your analysis score because they force you to place your analysis in the context/flow of the rhetorical analysis passage.

Here is a link to a presentation that I put together on this very topic:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vRRAVhdlAvJnCci9hZdPFtOiOkzh8-J0Z6navHDzDAk_ai4kKshEZj0t_B2IwVGnGx2dE-_UpSaLYQG/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000&slide=id.g5f551ed7e4_0_0

And here is the associated Replay.

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.