Constant and Control

I’m still a little bit confused on what to put for constant and control. Could I get a more specific explanation?

A constant is a variable that stays the same across every experimental group. Unlike your IV, it does NOT change at all. A control group, however, is a group that operates under what is defined as “normal”. For example, if you were doing an experiment where you were trying out different types of pest management on tomato plants, and your IV was the pest management strategies, your constants would be the brand of tomato plants, the amount of sunlight and water they receive, the temperature of the environment they are in, etc. The control group would be a group with no pest management strategies used on it. I hope this helps!

1 Like
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.