[Cram Contest] Concision, Part II

Practice analyzing sourcing and using a document from this DBQ as evidence.

Write less than a paragraph of interpretation and analysis, including sourcing analysis of a document from the Early Modern Empires DBQ. Responses will be judged based on accuracy and concision (fewest words that accomplish the task wins!). Winner receives Fiveable swag and will feature in the AP World Cram live stream on 5/5. Click here to save your spot for the stream.

Check out @adzcms8 winning entry from last week’s contest to see how this is done.

How to Submit
Reply to this thread with a two- or three-sentence answer. Use a document as evidence for a claim related to the prompt above and analyze how an element (HIPP) of the sourcing influenced the content of the document as it relates to the methods of early modern empires. Include your chat name for live streams and your school (optional).

Deadline for submission:
May 3, 2020 → 5pm ET, May 5, 2020 (this is a hard deadline to allow incorporation of the winning post into that evening’s Cram Session).

This is a contest, not an opportunity for feedback. One or more responses will feature on AP World Cram stream #6: New Social and Economic Forms, 7pm ET on May 5th. Winner will receive Fiveable swag along with live recognition.

The Mughals showed weapons(cannons) and strength through art to consolidate power.(D2). The intended audience is Akbar since Akbar was in control and to know about the Empire’s power will help him rule with confidence and order.

Name :Dan L
School: Riverside High School

1 Like

Empires used traditional methods to a great extent to consolidate power as they used religion and contact with the outside world(i.e. trade) to consolidate their power. One document that supports my argument that supports my argument is when Queen Elizabeth the I wrote in a charter that she would support trading operations that were to be conducted by the East India Company. Once aspect of sourcing that is relevant to the situation is historical situation because during this time, the European nations started to compete over who had the best access to the Indian Ocean Trade route and as a result, the UK sponsored voyages to and fro India in order to gain wealth, spread Christianity, and gain control of India.

Name: Vishal Manickam Subramanian
School: American School in Japan

2 Likes

Rulers changed the economic systems used to consolidate their power. In 1600, Queen Elizabeth granted a charter to the EIC, a privately owned company that would henceforth control British trade in India. (Doc3) This is a shift from the traditional system of mercantilism (which defined Europe’s economies in the prior era), in which the gvmt directly controlled trade.

Name: William the Conqueror
School: SRRHS

2 Likes

William, isn’t that doc 3? Doc 4 is Peter the Great

In the Decree on the Invitation of Foreigners (doc 4), Peter the Great mentions many ways which he intends to help the Russian Empire thrive, including by extending and improving trade as well as its military forces. The purpose of this document was to explain how Peter the Great will rule later on, through his control over trade and their military.

Tanya

3 Likes

Some states like the Mughal Empire used gunpowder cannons to upgrade their military and gunpowder was a new way to consolidate power as shown in the Illustration of the First Battle of Panipat where the Mughals are beating native troops and consolidating power using cannons. The usefulness of cannons in the military as well as Mughal military strength might have been slightly exaggerated though because Babur (Mughal leader) commissioned this work about a battle which he won. Winners portray history as they see fit.

Name: Varun Hariprasad

3 Likes

Thanks Tanya

According to Decree on the Invitation of Foreigners, Peter the Great intends to consolidate his power through westernization and strengthening the military. (document 4) The historical context is that Peter has increased connection to the West via Saint Petersburg, as well as modernized Russian clothing.

Olivia Zino

1 Like

Document 5 shows usage of a belief system: Confucian philosophy broadly throughout Qing society to maintain state authority by stressing importance of subjects’ loyalty to the emperor in preservation of societal harmony. As these words came from Emperor Yongsheng and his commissioner, they were meant to demean and discourage practice of other religions so that subjects would not stray from their duty of obedience.

1 Like

As an Ambassador from Bohemia and Hungary claimed that the Ottoman Sultan travels with an extreme variety of goods and animals to consolidate and legitimize his rule. However, de Busecq’s point of view likely influences the document because he is an outsider of the empire, therefor in awe of the magnificence of the sultan, so he is exaggerating the greatness of the Sultan.

1 Like

Queen Elizabeth’s charter to the British East India company demonstrates how many European nations did not effectively consolidate their power since they gave much of the control of overseas trade and colonies to join-stock companies. Queen Elizebeth as the ruler of England recognizes that despite handing over part of her power to joint-stock companies, she still has the power to make a lot of profit in the future by allowing the British East India company to control India for the present time period.

1 Like

According to Ogier Ghiselin de Busbecq, the reasons for their empires success is being prepared for any type of threat or conquest based on who they are going up against in which they would prepare to deal with specific peoples of specific strengths and weaknesses and accumulate men based on their merits not their social status (Document 1). This man is an ambassador who has been able to view the empires choices in government that has allowed for maximum success and harmony within their region in which he shows the Ottomans what will allow their empire to expand.

Julianna Youssef.

1 Like

The Mughals used traditional methods of consolidating power, shown by their artwork which shows soldiers on horseback, shooting arrows, much like the Mongols would to consolidate power (doc2). Also, paintings were made by people who were hired to paint them, shown by how organized the soldiers are to show how great the leader was even though they probably were not organized.

1 Like

Thanks for entering, @logan! Practice is the key to success. I will reveal the winner during tonight’s Cram Session.

Thanks for entering, @Julianna521523 ! Practice is the key to success. I will reveal the winner during tonight’s Cram Session.

Also, I checked on your question about uploading, and the College Board announced that submissions that start uploading before time runs out will continue to upload even if they are not finished when it does run out.

1 Like

Welcome to Fiveable’s AP World Community, @22lane5! Thanks for entering our contest. Practice is the key to success. I will reveal the winner during tonight’s Cram Session. I hope that you can join us.

The Mughals used artwork as a traditional method to consolidate power as seen with the power this South Asian empire has over their enemy through the use of technology such as bow and arrows. (Document 2). The purpose of this document was to show that the Mughals were such a prosperous nation that all men should feel threatened with their existence and therefore should show loyalty, respect, and obedience to this powerful empire.

Arossa

Thanks for entering, @hania-timek! Practice is the key to success. I will reveal the winner during tonight’s Cram Session. Hope that you can join us!

Welcome to our AP World Community thanks for posting, @Ellipsis! Practice is the key to success. I will reveal the winner during tonight’s Cram Session. Hope that you can join us!

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.