DBQ feedback

Evaluate the extent to which indigenous peoples’ reactions to state expansion differed during the period 1750-1900.
During the late period of the first industrial revolution and especially during the second industrial revolution, Europeans and other industrializing countries fought to gain new colonies. The use of these colonies was to support the increasing demand for raw materials and new markets. This led to mass imperialism in Asia, Africa, and other American nations. The natives of these nations are often disregarded during these state expansions. This led to many reactions from the indigenous people. Although there are a few ingenious people that allowed outside control, the majority reject these outside influences through letters and sometimes warfare.
In many instances, the indigenous people would kindly reject their conquerors through letters. I document 1, the Ashanti leader claims that they don’t wish for the protection of the British Empire which in many cases led to the conquest of the Ashanti kingdom. The Queen of Hawaii has written a letter regarding the ownership of Hawaii(document 4). In this document the queen describes the US attempt to control Hawaii without the approval of the Queen. This shows that the conquering states would often enforce the power in certain places without the approval of the natives.
In other places, warfare is the indigenous people’s answer to rejecting their conquerors. In document 3, the painting depicts the Battle of Adowa. In this battle, the Ethiopians fought against the Italians, who are trying to gain control of the Ethiopians, which are later the Ethipeans emerge victoriously. This picture shows one example of the native reaction against the conquest of Africa. Document 2 also gives a good example of the use of warfare. In the document the Tonghak people are planning on raising an army to fight against the Japanese conquerors. This shows that the Tonghak highly detest the outside influence and want to get rid of them through warfare. Since this document was aimed at the civilians and soldiers of Tongkak, the document would include many negative aspects of the Japanese and any outside influence to roust up the people to fight for them. Another good example would be the second opium war when the Chinese fought against British control over the Chinese through drugs. The Modist revolt led by Muhammad Ahmad also shows the opposal of the British control over their land. During the revolt the natives emerge victorious against the British.

I prefer contextualization to be set up BEFORE the time period of the argument, but I think overall this could work as a DBQ, probably a 7-8 overall just with a glance-over

Thank you so much for your feedback! I was wondering what should I include to get a 9 on this DBQ?

Source docs effectively, use 4-5 docs in your argument, bring in 2-3 solid pieces of outside evidence, and be specific. You’ve got this!!!

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.