Device linking

How are we supposed to “link” the devices/strategies in the essay so that we show them building off of each other?

Also, is it possible to still earn the complexity point if you don’t earn full points of the evidence/commentary section?

Technically, it IS possible, but I’ve had several CollegeBoard reps tell me that it would be extremely rare.

This is a key question! Think of it as discussing how one device builds upon a previous one. For example, “After X, Author does Y.” This could look like, “Once Reagan aligns himself with his audience by mourning openly with them, he moves to his call to action.” This is a very high-level analytical strategy that most students don’t utilize - it can really set your essay apart.

Here are slides from a recent Live Stream that address this further if you’d like to dive deeper into this subject.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vRRAVhdlAvJnCci9hZdPFtOiOkzh8-J0Z6navHDzDAk_ai4kKshEZj0t_B2IwVGnGx2dE-_UpSaLYQG/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000&slide=id.g3e5eb4482b_0_8

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.