Devices or strategies

Usually for my essays I identify different rhetorical devices that are in the passage and then I explain how they are used to develop the purpose/message. By focusing each paragraph on rhetorical devices rather than strategies does that leave me at a disadvantage/am I doing it incorrectly?

you can do it either way but doing strategies makes your essay more complex. if you have been practicing using rhetorical devices, then you should stick to that since that’s what you’ve been practicing

Okay, thank you for your help!

1 Like

@Caitlyn1 has given you some great advice. When you look to sophistication, the strategies show a greater depth of understanding, but depending on your commentary and analysis, you could score well with an essay organized by devices. Just remember that if your paragraphs are organized by devices, you need two of each to thoroughly prove your claim.

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.