Global Wind Patterns

How can you best remember normal global wind patterns (without the interference of El Nino or La Nina)?

I think it is best to remember the wind patterns by looking at them as convection currents. From the equator, we see Hadley cells rising up from the equator, so the winds blow toward down toward the equator. Then, from there it flip-flops. Ferrell cells curve upward. Then, polar cells curve back down. For the southern hemisphere, it is the opposite (i.e. Hadley cells curve downward). Does that answer your question? Here is a brief study guide that covers this: https://app.fiveable.me/apes/unit-4/global-wind-patterns/study-guide/eVG86e42B0MvmzUs3FYI

1 Like
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.