Grade my DBQ!

Could someone please grade my DBQ?

In the period 1500-1800, Christianity changed societies greatly, however by doing this some had to hide their religious beliefs and remove their old practices

In document one, a Catholic priest writes to priests in Mexico about how natives were always practicing their native religion, and that in villages farther away were not teaching them what was necessary so they had to hide their religion. In doing this, they were utilizing syncretic beliefs to better hide their practices. During this time, people have always consolidate their power through religion, so it was important that Christianity was spreading throughout Latin America. Simarily, Vodun is a good example showing Catholicism blending with West African beliefs. This shows, that syncretic beliefs were also being created during this time period that ultimately changed these societies. In document 2 it shows the native americans continuing Christianity through normal tradition, however they had guards to warn them if they saw a foreigner or any suspicious people coming. The author’s intention was to show foreigners that they had to hide these religious practices to others. Therefore, it proves that spreading Christianity also led to a result in hiding these traditions away.

By spreading Chrisitanity in Latin America, societies were utilizing Christianity as their main religion.
Document 3 shows a resident in Brazil practicing Christianity beliefs. Also, document 3 shows a Saint holding Jesus in 1750, also following christian traditions. In document 5, the King of Spain wrote about the missions in Paraguay in the 18th century to emphasize how much has changed with Christianity spreading throughout Latin American societies, showing how it removed their old beliefs with Christianity. The author’s intention was to show how Christianity took over their old Indian religion. Thus, showing how Christianty greeted changed societies in Spain.

Good morning! I’ll start by letting you know that while I am an AP teacher, I have not yet been a reader… so…
Knowing the prompt would be helpful.
Your thesis seems a bit weak. I don’t know if these docs and your writing show removing old practices - what I see mostly is a combining of the belief systems.
I think you can get a point for describing 2 docs (although I don’t understand all of doc 3 (isn’t that just a picture of an African saint? That first sentence doesn’t seem to fit.
I see Vodun as outside evidence for a point
I like your word choices that are very direct like “the author’s intention” - this helps the reader to see where you are trying to make a point
These are just a few of the points I see with a quick look at your writing…

Hope this helps! All the best to you today…

1 Like

Hello! I am a student, not a teacher, so I don’t know how helpful I can be with your essay. Upon reading it however, I think there are a few points missing, like context and a complex thesis that holds 2 claims. Im sure you will do well on your exam! just try and maybe go over the rubric to make sure you are hitting all of your points you want to achieve.

1 Like
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.