How many devices should we include? Does College Board suggest 2 devices or 2 choices? Also, if we use 2 devices and we also describe that a 3rd strategy is a certain tone, would that work?

How many devices should we include? Does College Board suggest 2 devices or 2 choices? Also, if we use 2 devices(repetition and comparisons) and we also describe that a 3rd strategy is a certain tone, would that be enough?
Last questions: If we use tone as something the author uses to build the argument, is it okay do describe it throughout the essay instead of specifically quoting phrases that characterize the tone?

Great question!

With MLA, the recommendation is two claims and two pieces of evidence for each claim. That said, you want to use two pieces of evidence for a minimum of two body paragraphs, but you can always do a little more if you have time.

Strategic choices and devices are different. When you are describing the choices made by the speaker, you will have to expand on that strategy by explaining the devices used to achieve it. I always suggest to my students three body paragraphs focused on choices, and then using two pieces of specific textual evidence that use devices. However, it is a much better choice to write two, hearty body paragraphs than three weak ones. Therefore, you can do two paragraphs with two pieces of evidence for each.

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.