Intro

I am still confused with introduction, and what we write in it. The thesis layout makes sense, but what more could there be in the intro before this?

Hey there! We tend to suggest the rhetorical precis as a frame that builds to your thesis statement.
In general, consider these parts:
Part 1: Author/Text Intro: In + his/her + Genre + Title + (Year) + Author’s Name (+ Info on Author) + topic
Part 2: Explain devices or strategies you noticed the author using to develop or advance the argument
Part 3: State the author’s overall message (beyond the prompt’s wording) and purpose (to + in order to) of the text
Part 4: Describe intended audience, tone, & author’s relationship to audience

Enjoy!

1 Like

Would this be a similar format to a precis?

My teachers format is move, move, move then inform and to persuade. the moves are the actions that the author makes to conduct his or her argument.

Example Intro: In a passage from an account of the 1918 Great Influenza epidemic, author John M. Barry defines the fundamental qualities that a scientist needs to possess and discusses the effort a scientist puts into their research. Through the inclusion of extended metaphors and descriptive diction, Barry achieves his goal, by downplaying the severity of decisions that scientists face and characterizing scientific research. His audience is a general audience that has enough acknowledgment of Barry’s topic and stirs his whole passage around a theme of uncertainty.

Is this ok

will this still get the points I need

i think it should, the intro usually should have the thesis, some type of hook, and overview what you will be talking about

Introduction : SPACE plus Thesis (2-5 sentences)
Thesis example :
● Author does what by (choices or strategies) transitional phrase
(purpose/message).
Sample Thesis :
● Thatcher appeals to the reader’s emotions by highlighting his lightheartedness
and acknowledging his political achievements in order to commemorate
Reagan’s memory and encourage the audience to remember how he was a
great man and president.

Yes, this absolutely works. There are no points specific to the introduction other than the thesis point. So make sure you write your thesis as clearly as possible. Outside of that, the function of an intro is to set the scene. Focus on who the author is and WHY he or she is talking/writing this work.

If you’d like a deeper dive in introductions, this should help!

Introduction : Use the SPACE part of SPACE CAT to write your introduction.
● Speaker/writer:
● Purpose:
● Audience:
● Context/Exigence:
Now try this basic format for your thesis sentence: In his/her ________________ format of the piece: speech, novel,
essay, etc. ___________________ + title of piece, author’s first and last name + strong verb + purpose or message.
Example : In her essay “Stone Soup,” writer Barbara Kingsolver argues that a happy and whole family is not limited to the
generic “Family of Dolls” nuclear family. To make your thesis/introduction more sophisticated, you could add : Through
the use of various pertinent examples, both anecdotal and historical, supplemented by thought-provoking rhetorical
questions and effective references to outside literature, she writes to abolish the irrational thinking of how a families who
do not fit the traditional mold are “broken” and “failed” in order to rectify society’s perception of these “broken homes.”

thank you

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.