Key points

are there any key points or specific things we can do that make our essays better straight off the bat?

Yes! The most important thing you can do is choose to write about the MOST effective writing choices in the text. To do this, get in the “head” of the target audience. Think about what writing choices would align them with the author’s purpose. If you successfully identify the MOST effective writing choices the author makes, you’ll certainly set yourself apart.

1 Like

are there any examples of any specific phrases we could use? i know its subjective, but some outlines would help, specifically with maintaining fluidity

In general, something that you can do to maintain fluidity is to track the author’s argument from beginning to middle to end. So the phrases/sentences starters you’ll use here are things like, “In the very opening of her letter…” and "After (Writing Choice 1), the author launches into …).

So phrases that identify the location of your writing choice in the overall placement of the text are what I strongly recommend.

Does that help?

1 Like
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.