Nature vs nurture

What is nature vs nurture?

The nature versus nurture debate involves whether human behavior is determined by the environment, either prenatal or during a person’s life, or by a person’s genes. Nature is what we think of as pre-wiring and is influenced by genetic inheritance and other biological factors. Nurture is generally taken as the influence of external factors after conception e.g. the product of exposure, experience and learning on an individual.

Nature vs nurture is probably the longest ongoing debate in psychology and is to figure out the causes of actions and behaviors. People who believe in the nature side think that these are inherited, while those who believe in the nurture side think that these come from environmental factors such as upraising.

This is the central question of all of psychology.
Nature (human nature) refers to the genetic & biological bases that shape us. It might help you to think of these as internal factors.

Nurture refers to the environmental factors that shape us. You could think of these as external factors.

The idea (mostly wrong) that development is a struggle between inborn tendencies (genes) and outside influences (the environment, writ small and large).

With what we’ve learned recently about epigenetics (the interaction between genes and environment) probably better to say nature VIA nurture.

Nature deals the hand, nurture plays the cards.

Am I intelligent because both of my parents provided those genes (Nature) or is it because of the learning opportunities they gave me (Nurture)? The Big Debate. Think of it as a white board. Some of us are born with a bigger white board (Nature) than others. The amount we write on our respective white board depends on our experiences (Nurture).

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.