Null hypothesis

For this FRQ, scientist were determining if a modified RNA polymerase had an effect on the maximum elongation rate (the dependent variable).

The question I was having a tough time on was one that asked for the null hypothesis in Figure 1 (the picture on the left) Although the question said that RNA polymerase did not have an effect on the maximum elongation rate, I found this hard to believe as the standard error is completely different.

The question is not asking if the null hypothesis is true. The null hypothesis always exists, but can either be rejected, or you can rail to reject it. (as I’m sure you know) In this context, the null hypothesis, though it can be rejected, would state that there is no statistically significant difference between the wild and experimental strain. Therefore, the independent variable has no effect on the dependent variable. Good luck today!

2 Likes

Uh, that’s what I was trying to figure out (the statistical difference between the wild strain and experimental strain.) Like how would you reject the null hypothesis when the first bar is much higher than the second. If these two bars were completely different from each other, wouldn’t we accept the null hypothesis, indicating that RNA polymerase has an effect on the maximum elongation rate.

Never mind, it said “State the null hypothesis” In other words, it wasn’t asking for me to prove or not.

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.