Punishment

what is positive punishment? I dont quite understand it.

If my kid curses, and I am inclined (I am not BTW) I might smack her in the face. I have applied a punishment. She has a smack. 5 seconds ago, she didn’t have one. Now she does. The application (plus) is what makes it positive. If I instead grounded her (took away privileges) that would be negative punishment.

The main challenge in mastering this is using your big, awesome frontal lobes to stop yourself from going to the positive = good/negative = bad thing in this context. In Operant Conditioning the positive and negative are like + and - in mathematics. Really.

Finally, of course the smack will stop her from cursing.

In front of me.

When I am not around, she’ll be swearing like a sailor with her friends.

:crazy_face:

This is the problem with punishment.

Positive punishment is an attempt to influence behavior by adding something unpleasant, while negative reinforcement is an attempt to influence behavior by taking away something unpleasant.

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.