Question: about "Chunking the Passage"

I was watching the College Board’s AP English Overview of the Rhetorical Situation on youtube (https://youtu.be/jsvw5GwFET0?t=779). Starting at the time 12:59, The teacher begins talking about identifying the Shifts in the passage. When identifying those shifts, do they need to be ones that use up the whole passage? What I mean by that is that when the teacher presents her selected shifts, there isn’t any part of the passage that is not included in the circled (squared) sections. Do we need to make sure that our shifts include all of the passage?

AP English Language: Overview of the Rhetorical Situation

Hi! I’m not a teacher, but this idea is something that my AP Lang teacher has talked extensively about. What you should focus on are the rhetorical shifts that are notable to your argument. The Ronald Regan prompt identified the two different personas that Regan demonstrated in the text. For your personal argument, you should identify shifts that work for your thesis. Depending on the prompt and what you base your thesis off of, the shifts that you identify will vary. So in short, no. You don’t have to make sure your shifts include all of the passage - just make sure that the shifts that you use are helpful to your argument :slight_smile:

thank you @AnnikaT

Hi, Ana! I’m Stephanie Kirk, Fiveable’s Lang Cram teacher. When looking to chunk the text, you are looking at breaking it down in a way that makes sense to YOU as you complete YOUR analysis and build YOUR argument. Generally, there is a shift of something that creates the division to a new chunk. Sometimes, students see this as a shift in tone or topic. Sometimes students notice a much longer paragraph. Different readers may also present a different set of chunks for the same text. The bigger idea here is that with each chunk, you want to look for the author’s message and purpose and how that functions as it builds to the author’s overall message and purpose. Another benefit of chunking the text is that you can use it to identify the strategies the author is using, and then you can build your argument progressing through the author’s line of reasoning. Bonus points: You create a stronger line of reasoning because you are looking at how each element builds. Hope this helps!

2 Likes
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.