Question about plagiarism

I’m a little confused about what is considered plagiarism. For instance, if we’re defining a term and use our textbook for reference, would we need to completely rephrase it?

This is CollegeBoard’s official stance on all of the above:

so we can copy the definition word for word but we cant talk to any one?

so as long as we generalize the definition…to make it sound accurate but not make it sound like a robot…then its fine

Remember everyone, just like Dr. Mohl is explaining for this practice FRQ, your table readers are looking for your application of the vocabulary term to the prompt. Definitions are helpful, but students won’t be punished for using similar definitions.

If the way in which you apply the definition is similar to other students, it will be subjected to review.

yeah, I wouldn’t copy and paste a definition online. You can use that definition as an outline and put it in simpler terms that would be your own work

Yup! I completely agree with what @christinat said!

2 Likes
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.