Referring to the reader/audience

When referring the the reader or the audience, is it alright to use the word “they” as an all inclusive pronoun, or should I use “he or she”?

First off, it would help if you identify the elements of SOAPSTone. If the prompt is a letter addressed to a certain person or group, you should refer to the audience accordingly. I think “they” would work as a general term.

thank you!

Hey there! This is a great question, but one thing to think about would be if the reader or audience is singular. If so, “they” might confuse the reader. While many people would figure it out, the task expectation does say that you need to “Use appropriate grammar and punctuation in communicating the argument.” That said, I highly suggest following MLA/Harbrace rules including agreement with pronouns.

1 Like

ok great, thanks!

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.