Rhetorical Devices

In our essay, do we have to explicitly state rhetorical devices? I usually don’t explicitly reference devices in my thesis nor my body paragraphs. Additionally, do we focus on a specific device for each paragraph?

You do not have to explicitly state any rhetorical devices. For example, if you say that the speaker repeats the words ____ in order to emphasize _____, you never have to be able to label the repetition as anaphora. In fact, I have been moving my own personal students away from labeling devices at all. Typically, when we are trying to label devices, it lends itself to “device hunting.” We go and pick out all the things that we can title and that’s what we write about. If you are device hunting, you usually miss out on several things that you can discuss thoroughly even if you can’t label them.

I hope this helps! Good luck tomorrow!

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.