Rhetorical Devices

So, maybe it’s just a writing style, I just want to make sure it doesn’t affect my score, but notice how Samantha, Brandon, and other students state their rhetorical devices in the introduction as part of the thesis. However, I write my rhetorical devices on my topic sentence instead of in my introduction.

Example of my thesis:

In [author’s name] speech, he/she makes use of different rhetorical strategies, to [rest of the thesis]

Example of my topic sentence:

[Author’s name] utilizes different rhetorical strategies such as, [state the different rhetorical strategies], to [exigence].

I hope it didn’t make it too complicated. Let me know if there’s anything you want me to clarify.

Great question. If you stick around, we will look at several thesis statements tonight in the Cram. If you look at the rubric, it specifically states that you must give the rhetorical choices to earn the thesis point.

I recommend clearly stating the writing choices you’ll be analyzing in BOTH your thesis statement AND your topic sentences.

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.