Rhetorical strategies

I feel like I don’t know any rhetorical strategies, could you list some more sophisticated ones that I should know?

1 Like

Hi,

This is a very common question, but I recommend re-framing it here. CollegeBoard has deliberately changed the Rhetorical Analysis wording from “rhetorical strategies” to “writing choices.” As readers, we would much rather see you put the author’s writing choices in your own words than worry about “matching” a name of a rhetorical strategy. Students who prioritize matching the name of a particular strategy often “oversimplify” the analytical task. It’s about much more than matching a specific term.

Here’s how I would think through the analytical task:

1. Get in the “mind” of the audience. What would the target audience likely think BEFORE/DURING reading or listening to the text? What specific things did the writer do to either a). change the audience’s mind or b). reinforce a belief?

2. Once you’ve identified the writing choices that would be most effective in addressing the target audience, explain what this writing choice is in your own words. Then, thoroughly unpack how the audience would likely respond to these writing choices. This is where you truly earn your score.

Here is a Replay that is very relevant to this discussion. I hope this helps!

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.