[SAQ] Practice with a Primary Source [c 1900-Present]

1. One historical process that is reflected in the image is that the British are using the sense of nationalism and pride to get more Indians to fight in the army. The man standing over the highlighted portion of India shows that he is ready to defend anyone who comes in his way. The final result of this is that the British have more people ready to defend their colony.

2. One change in the relationship between India and Britain is that India started to get more revolutionary thought. One example of this was Mahatma Gandhi and other revolutionary leaders. They were freedom fighters who were passionate about defending their country, but only for their freedom (not to reinforce the British army).

3. One similarity between the pride of Indian-British and Japanese soldiers is that both drag ‘family’ into the pride for the country. This is shown in this poster through ‘protecting loved ones’ and in Japanese propaganda through ‘carrying the honor of the family name’.

1 Like

Hi, Justin. Thanks for posting. I’m an AP World teacher and was a Reader for one of last year’s AP World Exam SAQs. You clearly understand the image and some of the underlying content. Here are some tips for sharpening your answers:

1. When the questions ask for historical process, they probably want something broader than propaganda, which is more of a technique. Something like mobilization or total war that used that technique would be better. A “process” will often be a main topic of a unit or time period. Of course, you are right that it is propaganda.

2. You have the basic change down, and this would be stronger with specific evidence, such as the name of an organization or an Indian nationalist. Britain did not promise India independence, although they did hint at more rights within the empire.

3. This is great with a specific answer and evidence.

Feel free to respond here and to other students. We’ll be posting another question soon.

Hi, Austin. Thanks for responding. I’m an AP World teacher and was a Reader for one of last year’s SAQs on the AP World Exam. Your answers show solid understanding. Here are some tips to sharpen them.

1. You have identified a historical process, nationalism, but a “describe” prompt requires a little more analysis. In this case that would be a few words on nationalism and a connection to the image.

2. “Push for independence” is correct. This would be stronger with specific examples of this push, such as names, organizations or events.

3. This is an appropriate parallel. For an “explain” question, you need some analysis of why governments used these techniques in the World Wars.

Keep up the good work! We’ll be posting more questions, and most of our live stream reviews have practice questions as well.

Hi Sunny! Nice to “see” you here. These are quality responses to the prompt.

I think that 1 and 2 would earn the point. For #1 you connect a process, nationalism, and describe how it worked in general and the image. For #2 you identify the change in relationship, provide evidence, “Gandhi,” and then explain how the relationship changed.

For #3, I think you have identified an appropriate example as evidence, but this would be stronger if you explained why such propaganda was used in both world wars.

Keep up the good work! We’ll be doing more of these discussions, and I’ll have some practice questions in our upcoming live streams.

Welcome to Fiveable, Jennifer! Thanks for joining our discussion. I’m an AP World teacher and have been a Reader for the SAQ on the AP Exam. You clearly have some historical understanding, and here is some feedback to sharpen that.

!. I think that you would earn a point for this response. “Total war” was a historical process, and troop recruitment was part of it. Well done!

1. The Indian Rebellion (aka Sepoy Mutiny or Rebellion) happened before World War One. So, that would be part of the context, but was not a change afterwards.

2. Using “mobilize” here is on target and effective. It would be stronger if you specified which wars. Japan did not mobilize for total war in the First World War, but did in the Second. Also, I don’t think that Britain promised Indian enlistees independence, although they did hint at more rights after the war.

Keep up the good work! We’ll be posting more of these here, and we have practice questions in our live reviews.

Hey there! AP World Teacher here! Some feedback on your answer.

1. Colonialism and an excellent answer as that is a broad historical process.

2. Indian independence is also an excellent answer, but in your answer could be stronger by pointing out that the struggle was non-violent and that it was because the British did not honor their promise for home rule.

3. Excellent answer.

Keep up the good practice.

1 Like

Hey there! AP World Teacher here. Some feedback on your answer

1. “Propaganda” is a bit too narrow for a broad historical purpose. Something like Militarism or Total War would be more appropriate.

2. This is a correct example, however, the answer lacks explanation. Why did that relationship change? Was it because of WWI? Or the Home Rule Movement?

3. This is a fine answer.

Keep up the good practice!

1 Like

Hello and welcome to Fiveable! I’m an AP World teacher and was a Reader for one of the SAQs on last year’s Exam. I can tell that you understand the underlying history and the image. Some feedback:

1. The phrase “legitimize rule” is useful here. Propaganda is a technique, but legitimizing rule is a historical process. This would score a point.

2. This would be stronger with a piece of specific evidence about Indian independence. You are correct about the continuity, but that is not the question.

3. Quality answer! Moves beyond just “Hitler” to discuss two propaganda techniques and how they worked. This would also score a point.

Keep up the good work! We’ll be posting another question here soon, and Jed’s stream on Thursday on decolonization will include more practice problems.

1 Like

Hello, Gayathri, and welcome to Fiveable. I’m an AP World teacher and Read SAQs for last year’s Exam. Your answers are thorough! Here is some feedback:

1. The last three sentences are enough to earn the point. The Great War was a historical process and you describe how the image fits into mobilization for total war.

2. This is also a strong response. I like the explanation of the connection between WWI and independence. This would earn a point.

3. Strong again! Would be better with an example, although “militarism” and Germany might be specific enough.

Keep up the good work! We’ll be posting another practice question soon. Our live streams, including past ones available by replay, usually have practice questions.

1 Like

Welcome to Fiveable and thanks for posting! I’m an AP World teacher and Read one of the SAQ for last year’s Exam. I have some tips for sharpening your response.

1. You are correct that this is propaganda, and your description of its purpose and technique is on target. Propaganda is too narrow to be a historical process, though. This should be connected to a larger development, perhaps mobilization or total war, related to World War One.

2. You have identified an important change. This would be stronger with explanation of how World War One might have caused some Indians to favor independence from Britain. An explanation requires one more thought, a connection between what was and what changed.

3. Spain did not fight directly in either World War, so I don’t think this is relevant.

Practice is key in mastering SAQs, because the phrasing of responses is so important. We’ll have another practice item up soon!

1 Like

Hello and welcome to Fiveable. I’m an AP World teacher and have been a Reader for the AP Exam, including SAQ last year. Your answer shows understanding of history! Here are some ways tao sharpen your responses.

1. Colonialism is an appropriate response here, but your description should explain the aspects of colonialism evident in the image.

2. This is very close. You are correct that the movement for independence was an important change after the poster was produced. This would be stronger if you included how the INC pushed for independence AFTER the Great War.

3. Right on! A full point for this.

Keep up the good work. Practice is key with the SAQ. We’ll have another item up soon!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

2 Likes

You’re welcome!
We just posted another question here: [SAQ] 7.4 Economy in the Interwar Period (c 1900-Present)
(no rush, though :grinning:)

1. One historical process reflected in the picture is Nationalism. Nationalism is the feeling of identification to a certain nation, country, state, etc. The picture shows Nationalism through the fact that the Indian soldier feels like they belong in India, thus the need to protect India.

2. One change was that India no longer belonged to Britain anymore, and had successfully gained their independence from Britain after World War Two in 1947.

3. One similarity is how the USA used a propaganda such as Uncle Sam and Nationalism to mobilize their troops in World War II and World War One, somewhat similar to what India did in the poster.

1 Like

HI, Amanda. Welcome to Fiveable! I’m an AP World teacher and have also been a Reader for the SAQ on the AP Exam. Your responses here show understanding of World History and the image. A few thoughts to sharpen your answer.

1. Nationalism is an historical process. This earns the point. The British are trying to encourage nationalism. Hard to say how Indian people responded to this.
  2. You are correct, but an “explain” prompt requires more elaboration. How or why did Indian people gain independence?
  3. This is also correct, but needs a little more explanation. How or why (those are the key questions for reasoning) did Britain and the US both use these techniques? Mobilization is a great start, and elaborating on it would earn the point.

Keep up the good work!

1- Propaganda is being shown in the picture above of the government wanting the Indiana’s to joint the army in their fights against other country’s
2- After the poster was made the Britain’s saw the Indians as people they could eventually see as equals and bring some of their things like education and other things down to spread it down in india
3- This poster and another empires influence on their people also was in germany. They did all they can through propaganda to make sure people help their army and or join their army at any means necessary

1 Like

Hi, Natalia. Thanks for responding! I’m an AP World teacher, and I was a Reader for one of the SAQs on last year’s exam. You answer shows understanding of the poster. Here are some tips to sharpen your response.

1. You are right that this is propaganda. “Propaganda” is a more narrow term, though, compared to historical process, which implies a broader trend. Propaganda was a technique used by warring nations to mobilize people and resources for total war.
  2. You are right that after the poster India moved toward independence. To earn a point this would need at least one detail on Indian Independence, such as name of person or group, and some explanation of how this moment led to independence.
  3. Germany did use propaganda. This would be stronger if you included an example of a propaganda technique from Germany in one of the world wars, and explained how or why both the poster above and the German example were similar.
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.