Sensory Adaptation vs Habituation

Sorry for all the questions! Could you please describe the differences between these two?

Both involve our senses becoming used to stimuli so it is no longer noticeable. Adaptation is more passive and happens more automatically and habituation occurs is actively attempting to ignore the stimuli.

1 Like

So with that same example from before do you think this would work?
Habituation occurs when we don’t respond as much to a stimulus because of continued exposure / we get used to it. In this case, there may be a dog that barks very loudly every night. Eventually, Chandler and Alex stop reacting because of the continued exposure. @michele-forbes

typo in there…habituation is actively attempting to ignore the stimuli.

Sensory adaptation refers to a reduction in sensitivity to a stimulus after constant exposure to it. When you walk in to bakery it smells great, a few minutes later you don’t smell anything because you are now used to it.

Habituation is when we detach from sensory stimuli. So, when your teacher drones on about something you stop listening and think about something else.

2 Likes

So with that same example from before do you think this would work?
Habituation occurs when we don’t respond as much to a stimulus because of continued exposure / we get used to it. In this case, there may be a dog that barks very loudly every night. Eventually, Chandler and Alex stop reacting because of the continued exposure. @Nicole3

Yes, they are ignoring the dog. They choose to pay attention to something else. Right? @Nicole3

I would be careful with your application. This could also seem like selective attention. If you get habituation tomorrow, we will be looking for you to show what sensory event you are not paying attention to. So, the dog is constantly barking so they choose to ignore it and check their email.

2 Likes

Another way to look at it is that Habituation has more to do with learning. At first I sensitize to something I learn (thinking of every step of learning to ice skate). After enough repetitions, I habituate it (I don’t concentrate simply staying upright on my skates, now I focus on other things). Adaptation tends to deal with the senses. At first the hot tub felt great. After a while my body adapted and it didn’t seem as hot.

2 Likes

Ok got it, thank you guys so much! I really appreciate it @Nicole3 @michele-forbes @bob.gawlitta

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.