The Brain & Its Functions

Could we go over the specific structures/parts of the brain and their functions and importance?

Here is a basic, yet comprehensive summary: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ujYpaEJjJOMkQ1SWZvTmFrR1E/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

Thank you!!

Hello! Here’s a list I came up with!

• Brainstem: connects brain and spinal cord and is responsible for automatic functions
  • Medulla: controls heartbeat and breathing
  • Thalamus: directs messages to sensory receiving areas in the cortex and transmits replies to the cerebellum and medulla
  • Cerebellum: processes sensory input and coordinating movement output and balance
  • Amygdala: linked to emotion
  • Hypothalamus: directs several maintenance activities/homeostasis (eating, drinking, body temperature), and helps govern the pituitary gland; also linked to emotions and rewards
  • Pons: regulates sleeping and dreaming
  • Frontal Lobes: involved in speaking and muscle movements and making plans and judgments
  • Parietal Lobes: receives sensory input for touch and body position
  • Occipital Lobes: receives information from the visual fields
  • Temporal Lobes: receives information primarily from the opposite ear
  • Copus Callosum: connects the two brain hemispheres and carries messages between them
  • Broca’s Area: controls language expression
  • Wernicke’s Area: controls language reception, comprehension, and expression!

Hope this helped! :grinning:

4 Likes

Thank you! It’s perfect!!

That’s quite a big bite at once. I would start general, then get more specific:

1. The inner reptilian brain is the Cerebrum, consisting of white matter and concerning with basic autonomic functions. The outter, advanced brain is the cerebral cortex, consisting of gray matter (or bundle neurons) and concerning higher level thinking and understanding.
  2. The four lobes of the brain and what each does: The Frontal Lobe is significant for concentration, problem-solving, and personality (think Phineas Gage). The Parietal Lobe (on the top of the cortex) is for sensory data like touch and consists of association areas related to parts of the body (toes, hands, eyes, etc). The Temporal Lobe (located near the temples/by the ears) is significant for interpreting auditory code/sounds. The Occipital Lobe (in the back of the brain) is significant for sight. In a nutshell: Frontal = personality, Parietal = touch, Temporal = sound, Occipital = sight
  3. Right vs Left Hemisphere or Lateralization. In a nutshell, the left side is for academics like language, math; the right side is for creativity like music, art, and dancing.
  4. Though there are many more parts of the brain to identify, the big three in my opinion are: Hippocampus, which regulates memory. Hypothalamus, which is significant for hunger and body temperature. Amygdala, which is significant for our emotions like fear and anger. I might also add the Cerebellum, for coordination and balance.
  5. Focusing on the brain stem as it enters the brain can then give you even more insight into how information goes from the body/peripheral nervous system to our brain for responses/understanding.
    There is so much to cover, but I hope this help you get the ball rolling a bit.
2 Likes

thank you so much!!

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.