Understanding the Prompt

In AP Classroom, I see that the prompt for one particular DBQ states to “Identify one additional kind of document and explain briefly how it would help your analysis of the causes and responses.” What does that mean and could you give an example?

Hello! Is that a DBQ prompt? That looks more like part of an SAQ? Is there more that you missed?

Yeah, this is a Unit 4 DBQ and the entire prompt says, “Analyze the multiple causes of and various responses to smuggling activities in the Caribbean region during the late eighteenth century. Identify one additional kind of document and explain briefly how it would help your analysis of the causes and responses.”

Hmmm… I have not been a reader and this question seems different from any DBQ I’ve seen. If it isn’t one of the updated DBQs it may not have that idea of outside evidence in it but to me that is what the second part of that statement relates. Outside evidence can be people, events, other docs and I think if you were to take what you are using for that outside evidence it would cover this portion. Hoping this helps. Good luck tomorrow…

Got it, thanks a lot!

OK, so that’s how the MUCH older prompts used to read, like the ones from the early 2000’s and such. It used to be part of the rubric to bring up docs that they COULD’VE included in addition to the ones they provided that would make for better understanding. They did away with that several years ago. I always tell me students just rock the docs and ignore that last bit.

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.