Using the impact on "the reader"

My teacher doesn’t let us use “the reader” at all but a lot of the example essays that I have seen mention that- for example “the author does ____ which evokes a sense of __ among readers”

HI! This is a GREAT question! So, here’s the deal–it is not a good idea to say “the reader” in your response because the audience for the text that you are analyzing might not be literal “readers.” Many of the texts that are included on the AP Lang exam are speeches, so it would be inaccurate to say “readers” here. Instead of saying “the reader,” try to use a more specific noun that would specifically describe the audience. Final note: try to be as specific as possible when describing the audience. Good luck!

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.