Whats an example of nuance, and how to write a good nuance statement

i need help on this lol.

Hi Kelly – what do you mean a “nuance sentence”? Can you give an example.

The tough thing to understand about Nuance, is that it’s not really the sort of thing that is a formula for. Nuanced essentially describes a situation where you can effectively look at many different sides of an issue and come to a conclusion based on a broad understanding of a topic. A good example of this might be looking at a war from both the political economic and a cultural standpoint. To write an effective nuanced statement you have to be very familiar with the material.

I think he/she is talking about nuance in reference to the complexity point.

The Complexity Point, or the Unicorn Point, or the “Icing on the Cake” Point, is difficult to teach; most teachers will say you can’t teach it; it just happens. I think the best advice that I have seen is to do as follows:

How do you get the Complexity Point? GEM

1. Generate Nuance–tell different sides of the question, expound on one or more of your arguments
  2. Explain–explain both sides of the historical reasoning skill being used for the DBQ. College Board will ask you to use one of 3 historical thinking skills–Causation, Comparison, or Continuity and Change.
    If the question asks you to tell you the causes of the Renaissance, tell the effects of it; if the question asks you to compare two periods, the other side would be to tell what was different between the two periods; if it asks you to evaluate the extent of change, also tell what things stayed the same;
  3. Make Connections across Time; connect your information to something that happened later in history.
    Any part of “GEM” can gain you the complexity point!
1 Like
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.