When to put document analysis

Should we put the actual “this shows” analysis after explaining and sourcing all the documents for a body paragraph or after each document?

I do the “this shows” analysis after explaining each document, that way I can get the point for tying my arguments back into my thesis. Also, analyzing after each document helps the reader understand what you are trying to say, and why you evidence and sourcing relates to your argument.

I am a big fan of clearly indicating what you are doing. Not only, “this shows,” but also, “this must be understood in the context of,” or the “purpose is,” etc. In the best case scenario you weave this into your writing seamlessly so it doesn’t appear like you are point-mongering, but in a pinch, and you have a valid point that connects the document to the argument… do it.

1 Like

Absolutely, direct language is the way to success. Don’t try and beat around the bush when talking docs, just make your argument, use detailed examples, and lay it out there. You’ve got this!

Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.