Would this contextualization get the point?

The prompt was about comparing and contrasting reforms in China and the Ottoman Empire during the nineteenth century.

Western imperialism in both the economic and political spheres caused the Ottomans to want to strengthen themselves to protect themselves from foreigners through reform movements called the Tanzimat Reforms. Western industrialization particularly was a cause for worry since Westerns got access to superior militaries they could use to conquer Ottomans. China also tried to reform itself after the British defeated the Chinese in the Opium Wars and Russia tried to connect China to itself by building railroads to China through a movement called the Self-Strengthening movement. China was particularly afraid of advanced Western weaponry that it witnessed in action during Western attack of ports during the Opium wars and this was a cause for reform movements in China.

I think you brought in multiple areas beyond China & the Ottoman Empire. With that, I would say yes – you’ve extended how the reforms of China & Ottoman Empire were influenced by Westernerns. Russia was a troublesome neighbor to China – leading to their reforms.

Nice work.

Good luck tomorrow!

1 Like
Fiveable Logo

2550 north lake drive
suite 2
milwaukee, wi 53211

✉️ help@fiveable.me

learn

about for students for parents for teachers for schools & districts content team privacy contact

practice

🥇 2020 Fiveable Olympics study plans upcoming events trivia hypertyper resources cram passes

connect

community tiktok discord twitter instagram facebook careers

*ap® and advanced placement® are registered trademarks of the college board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.

© fiveable 2020 | all rights reserved.